Racking my Flooring

Old 04-09-13, 03:00 AM
Racking my Flooring

I am about to begin laying about 250 square foot of 3/4" Pine flooring in one of my rooms.

While my supplier sells in "random lengths (18" to 8'), 99%+ of the material is in 8' lengths.

How do I layout (rack) this job before I begin to get a varied and random end seam look to the finished floor?
Thanks,

Jeff+

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did all the material come in boxes? I started a job once when the first box was nothing but long pieces, and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Second box brought be back to reality with short stubs at certain points.

If you are certain all the lengths are long, and you have purchased enough for waste, racking shouldn't be a problem. Doing it with only one person will be time consuming and confusing, as well as tiring. I am only assuming you will have help with this, if for no other reason than to place flooring. Your job is nailing, their job is placement to ensure seams are not too close together and that everything ends right.

Cut longer pieces in half or at different places to create starter and end pieces for your offsets when needed.

Old 04-09-13, 03:25 AM
Well, the supplier is a large log home, flooring, walls, log, half log, mantle and trim mill about 60 miles from my home.
I'm using 6" wide flooring (actual 5 1/8" finished). You tell them the needed square footage and they bundle and wrap the equivalent number of pieces.
Unfortunately, I'm the sole operator here (save some bit of help from the wife as necessary). I believe that I can stagger the end joints no problem, I think I should be able to even use the full 8' pieces as long as the end seams are at random placement, correct?
I can purchase as much additional as necessary without great problem and no variation in lots I purchase.

Old 04-09-13, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you recut the T&G, you can only use full pieces in the middle. Cut pieces need to be used on the ends.

Old 04-09-13, 04:13 AM
All pieces are T & G on the sides and both ends. Does that make any difference?

Old 04-09-13, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you cut any of your boards, you will either cut the tongue off or the groove off. That's why the cut pieces need to be used on the appropriate end.

Old 04-09-13, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Say you are working on the floor facing out. Once you approach your last piece, naturally you will need to cut it. If the piece is at least 8" long, use it for your next starter piece. To vary it up a little, cut some pieces in two, not necessarily equal. Use the right piece as a starter and finish with the left piece if it is long enough. Your cut ends will face the walls.