Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

how to refinish beautiful 35-year old redwood floor uncovered by carpet removal

Old 04-13-13, 03:24 PM

Our redwood home [walls, open beam ceilings and plank steps] was built in 1977.
We recently pulled the carpet from an 800-square-foot room to find redwood 2x4,
up on end, in excellent condition, underneath. The floor has been thoroughly cleaned, 6 small boards replaced, given an acid wash and now a coat of tung oil. I am not in favor of any further finish of a glossy, urethane nature or anything that will darken or mask the color of the wood. My questions are: is tung oil enough to protect the wood; and if so how do you clean it; and what if anything would properly seal the tung oil ... given my parameters above.

thank you all in advance ...

in the attached image, the tung oil had not yet been applied, and the one spot in the middle of the room is a trial test of wood conditioner + urethane. very glossy for this home.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! My heart went into palpitations. What a floor. I am a naildriver, not a painter, so this is just an observation. Our paint guy will be here after supper, so hang in there. Never can tell what treasures lie beneath cruddy carpet

Old 04-13-13, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, Chandler ... and for the record, I'm quite partial to 'naildrivers.' My father was a rough carpenter for over 50 years before being sidelined with Parkinson's.

Old 04-14-13, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nail drivers are ok in my book as long as they don't also qualify as wood butchers

While I've worked on jobs that have used a tung oil finish on the hardwood, I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm thinking they applied more than one coat of oil. I don't know what is done in the way of maintenance on oiled floors

I've never heard of an acid wash on wood good looking floor though

Old 04-14-13, 10:34 AM
marksr ...
The oxalic acid wash was necessary to remove some water stains near the windows that happened in the early stages, before construction was complete and the roof was rendered watertight. The acid removed heavy stains with scrubbing and then the entire floor was given a light going over to even out the color. I'm afraid to add additional coats of oil as the wood darkened appreciably with just one coat.
Thanks just the same for your response.

Old 04-14-13, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
As I understand..oil will always darken/highlight the color of the wood. Maybe a water based poly would lessen that effect?

Old 04-15-13, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
oxalic acid - normally used on exterior decks but I understand now My brain was thinking along the lines of muratic acid

Vic is right, rubbing oil and oil base poly/varnish will always deepen the colors that are naturally in the wood. Waterbased polys don't change the color of the wood any, just give it a sheen.