Refinishing OAK Floor with 1/16-1/8 gaps??

Old 04-17-13, 11:48 AM
Refinishing OAK Floor with 1/16-1/8 gaps??

Getting ready to strip/sand a few floors and refinish. Have done this quite a few times in my life. However I am concerned about the larger under 1/8 inch gaps I used wood filler on the thinner gaps,( and it stands out if you dont stain to match.) I would think it may be a real eyesore if I try and fill the wider gaps.
the only thought so far would be to possibly rip a few thin strips of oak and glue it in and then sand it down.
feed back would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Filler can be tinted but it looks solid, not grained like the wood, so it shows up if the spot is big enough. If that's the case, I would look to put in an actual piece of wood, as you mentioned.

It is normal procedure to put in the filler after the stain but put the finish (polyurethane) over it to protect it along with the wood.

Old 04-17-13, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It depends on what type of filler is used. There are oak fillers that are intended to be applied before the finish sanding [prior to stain] and do a decent job on minor cracks. I wouldn't be leery of using it on gaps that are 1/8" or less ..... but not wider. When colored putty is used, it should be used after the stain and first coat of poly is applied. It should have one or more coats of poly applied over the putty. It's best used for nail holes and minor cracks - too time consuming for a large amount of filling.

Old 04-17-13, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
There are oak fillers that are intended to be applied before the finish sanding [prior to stain]
Hadn't seen them - thanks, Mark.

Old 04-18-13, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I ferget the brand names but any store that specializes in hardwood would have it. Not sure if a big box store does.