home made hard maple floor

Old 04-21-13, 07:43 PM
home made hard maple floor

looking for any pointers you can provide. I have used recovered hard maple 3/4" thick by 2 1/4 " to make 11" wide planks of 20 to 44" lengths, biscuit joined. tongue and groove with nail slot. sub floor is 1/4 luann on top of 3/4" cdx on truss at 16". What type of felt, gap at wall, nail/staple spacing, poly on back side? forced air heat and air conditioned in minnesota. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Pull the luan as it is not a good substrate for wood flooring and replace with 1/2" AC plywood fastened to the subflooring only, not the joists. CDX is not a happy subfloor either, but you may be stuck with it. I would have used Advantech T&G subflooring. 15# felt, leave at least 1/4" gap at walls continuous. I like to use a flooring nailer/stapler with "L" cleats. With maple, staples may get hung up more than you desire. Cleats seem to penetrate better. Nail them every 8". Hopefully you used an offset pattern in your panels that won't look like "panels" when laid. Sounds intriguing. Post pics. We love to see it.

Old 04-23-13, 05:39 AM
Thanks Chandler, that helps me a lot!

Old 08-26-13, 06:54 AM
Finished the floor, thanks for your help. turned out better than I expected. I will post a picture in Did it Myself.

Old 08-26-13, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got pictures?...................................

Search this Thread