paint on hardwood floor

Old 02-08-01, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Our new home has oak flooring in the bedroom that's in great shape except for paint splatters on much of its surface from the previous owners. I'm considering just stripping the old finish, repairing the few minor scratches, and then putting on a new finish. I'd hate to go through the whole sanding thing when it doesn't look like it needs it. Would stripper do the job, and would it also remove the pain blotches? Does this sound like a good plan?

Old 02-09-01, 05:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oak floor eh...envy envy!! If the flooring was mine then I would hire a heavy duty floor sander for the day.Its not that expensive and when you have finished you`ll be glad you did!! Yes paint stripper will remove unwanted paint,but sometimes there is invisible residue on the floor that only becomes apparant after you have treated the floor with your chosen finish.

Old 02-09-01, 06:18 AM
T
Oak floor eh...envy envy!! If the flooring was mine then I would hire a heavy duty floor sander for the day.Its not that expensive and when you have finished you`ll be glad you did!! Yes paint stripper will remove unwanted paint,but sometimes there is invisible residue on the floor that only becomes apparant after you have treated the floor with your chosen finish.
Also,the floor may look clean but stripping paint in small areas can sometimes create a colour difference which will be highlighted by your finish.

Old 02-09-01, 08:00 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
Goof-Off is a product for removing stuff from other stuff. It is great for removing glue residue from stuff.

It also very effective at removing latex paint. It is flammable so do not smoke when using it. If you just have a few paint drips and slop over, Goof-off may be a way to remove the annoying mess and not harm the floor. Squirt a little on a rag and rub on the paint. You may need to let the goof-off work a little. Elbow grease helps some but give the chemicals time to fight the other chemicals.

If you have larger areas, you may need to refinish. Area rugs will hide a multiude of sins.

Old 02-09-01, 09:41 PM
N
I have one for you can I paint on a armstrong laminate floor? I want to put a big chief wahoo on the middle of my game room floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: