removing carpet adhesive and old varnish from strip floor

Old 04-22-13, 01:59 PM
removing carpet adhesive and old varnish from strip floor

is there a chemical stripper anyone reccomend to strip off old carpet adhesive and old varnish from a douglas fir strip floor?

I tried hand scraping the glue off, but the varnish immediately gums up my sanding pad from the floor sander, belt sander. it doesnt matter. I've been using #36 and even tried #20. same result...paper gums up within seconds.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Scraping is likely your best bet. Sometimes paint thinner will dissolve and remove adhesive but I'm not sure you would want to use that much thinner indoors.

Old 04-23-13, 07:56 AM
I had read on another thread that Founders resortation system works well. If not for the floor, I have a set of stairs to do, that will be difficult to sand and/or scrape.

Old 04-23-13, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with founders restoration system, a quick search didn't turn up anything

Old 04-24-13, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry, its not Founders, its Formby's Furniture Refinisher.
From reading the directions, it seems like a long process to get through the whole flight of stairs.

Old 04-24-13, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've used Formby's paint and varnish remover, I've not used that particular product. I don't use strippers often but for the most part they all work the same - you brush on the stripper, let it set/work and then scrape off the gunk. It may or may not take more than 1 application. Some strippers need to be neutralized when done. Chemically stripping coatings on wood is always followed by sanding.