Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing carpet adhesive and old varnish from strip floor

NH

04-22-13, 01:59 PM   #1  
removing carpet adhesive and old varnish from strip floor

is there a chemical stripper anyone reccomend to strip off old carpet adhesive and old varnish from a douglas fir strip floor?

I tried hand scraping the glue off, but the varnish immediately gums up my sanding pad from the floor sander, belt sander. it doesnt matter. I've been using #36 and even tried #20. same result...paper gums up within seconds.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-23-13, 02:40 AM   #2  
Scraping is likely your best bet. Sometimes paint thinner will dissolve and remove adhesive but I'm not sure you would want to use that much thinner indoors.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NH

04-23-13, 07:56 AM   #3  
I had read on another thread that Founders resortation system works well. If not for the floor, I have a set of stairs to do, that will be difficult to sand and/or scrape.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-23-13, 02:24 PM   #4  
I'm not familiar with founders restoration system, a quick search didn't turn up anything

NH

04-24-13, 07:40 AM   #5  
I'm sorry, its not Founders, its Formby's Furniture Refinisher.
From reading the directions, it seems like a long process to get through the whole flight of stairs.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-24-13, 09:38 AM   #6  
While I've used Formby's paint and varnish remover, I've not used that particular product. I don't use strippers often but for the most part they all work the same - you brush on the stripper, let it set/work and then scrape off the gunk. It may or may not take more than 1 application. Some strippers need to be neutralized when done. Chemically stripping coatings on wood is always followed by sanding.

Search this Thread