Engineered hardwood floor install

Old 04-24-13, 04:42 PM
Engineered hardwood floor install

Hi All,
My wife and I recently purchased a 5 year old foreclosure in Mount Pocono, PA.
After ripping up the carpet on the second floor, we would like to install a new floor. We haven't decided on hardwood or engineered hardwood but we're leaning towards the latter.
The question we have is this, under the carpet we found OSB. Do we have to rip up the OSB and lay down 1/4" plywood or can we lay the plywood on top of the OSB or can we lay the floor down on top of the OSB with an underlayment?
We're trying to do this without breaking the bank or my back.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are floating the engineered flooring, you can keep the OSB and add a cushioned underlayment. If you are nailing down, you may need to beef up the subfloor. Which way are you planning?

What is the current makeup of your subfloor? Thickness? Number of layers?

Forget the 1/4" anything...only good for smoothing a floor for linoleum or vinyl.

Old 04-24-13, 05:17 PM
We're not sure which way would work best but floating would definitely be the easiest. I think the OSB is only one layer and I don't know the thickness. I will check that this weekend. Since the house was only built 5 years ago I don't know what the codes are since the house is in PA and we live in NY. As for the 1/4" plywood that's what we were told at Lowes but I don't have alot of faith in that advice that's why I'm looking elseware for some help.

Old 04-25-13, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately, a lot of the sales people at the big box stores don't have a lot of knowledge about the products they sell. You probably have 3/4" OSB but you should check to make sure

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 04-28-13, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The OSB is 23/32" and we're leaning towards floating the engineered hardwood floor to save on some labor but we want something that won't give us trouble down the road. Should we sand the edges of the OSB before we put down an underlayment then the floor or should we be doing some other type of prep before laying the floor?
Thanks.

Old 04-29-13, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the ends of the OSB are raised it usually means it took on a lot of water during construction. Is the floor "wavy" with peaks at all ends and valleys in the middle? Or did your sanding suggestion mean simply tidying up?

At the very least, I would use some 2" deck screws and screw the whole floor down. Pull any nails that are causing squeaks in the floor. This is your one opportunity to make the floor quiet before you close it in with some nice hardwood.

Search this Thread