Office Chairs on Engineer Flooring?

Old 04-29-13, 11:30 AM
Office Chairs on Engineer Flooring?

Last year I installed a Schon brand engineered floor (from Lumber Liquidators). I used the recommended underlayment. The floor is floating and it used the glue-less fold and lock method to install which Schon calls "quick clic". (glue-less).

Floor info:
7/16" x 4-3/4" Natural Hickory - Schön Quick Clic Engineered | Lumber Liquidators

Anyway, I'd like to use an office chair and I'd really rather not use one of those plastic floor mats. I know you can buy replacement casters that are supposed to be good for hardwood floors, but I wasn't sure if they we rated for "engineered" floors or just true hardwood floors. Do that make a caster for an office chair that's safe to use on engineered flooring?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-13, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, chair castors void the warranty on all flooring. I have seen even the "safe" ones, ruin carpet, vinyl, laminate and engineered. They won't ruin hardwood but will scratch it very badly. They will even scratch ceramic.

Old 04-29-13, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
We had a member here who did a lot of DIY research, both with samples and small amounts of the ones that gave the best results in those tests. I don't think she ever found one that wouldn't dent scuff and scratch without some sort floor mat.

Old 04-30-13, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a solid oak hardwood floor in my office. I figured the poly finish would be fine especially since it's a small room with built ins and basically only the chair to remove - easy to refinish. I was surprised at how hard the chair was on the floor! When I freshened up the poly, I went out and bought a plastic mat..... that was yrs ago and the finish still looks great.

Old 04-30-13, 09:23 AM
Well, the consensus seems to be you must get a mat when it comes to casters and hardwood floors. Even so, I have heard some good things about servicecaster.com. Anyone had any experience with them?

Old 04-30-13, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, man. It's been a gazillion years ago, but a friend had a similar situation on his hardwoods, but, being the inventive type, he fabricated his casters to accept either skate board or roller skate wheels. Soft rubber, no mar and no scratch. Don't even ask if I remember how he did it. I do remember his chairs made no noise as it moved across the floor.

Old 04-30-13, 05:20 PM
I'm considering these, but I'm not hopeful considering the comments here.
Twin Wheel Floor Safe Softech Casters

Search this Thread