Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Please help with direction

WA

04-30-13, 11:30 PM   #1  
Please help with direction

We are installing laminate flooring in LR, Dining, Kitchen, hall and all 3 bedrooms. My longest wall (which is also the direction of the sun) is the opposite direction of the hallway. I don't like those strips and I'm thinking it will look dumb to change directions, but I can't find any pics where people have done this. I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Please help.

btw..We are putting flooring down on wood. The brand of laminate is Traditional Living (sams club) and it is tongue and groove (tilt on and lay down, no clicking). This is a SMALL house. All rooms and hall is less than 1000 sq ft.
My husband is the installer. He has been in construction for 35+ years, but has never put down laminate.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ads/layout.png

Last edited by vickyvp; 05-01-13 at 12:09 AM.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-01-13, 03:03 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums. You may not like the strips, but with laminate flooring you will be relegated to using them at all openings as you don't have the option of using reversing splines like you would with hardwood flooring. I would run the flooring from window to window across the living room. Do what you want in the hallway, but I think changing directions for that run alone will add a bit of "break up" of the monotonousness of the laminate. Since you will need transition strips anyway, why not?

VA

05-01-13, 05:34 AM   #3  
Want a seamless floor then use a differant type of flooring.
Engineered flooring comes to mind. Engineered can increase the value of the home, laminite will not.

WA

05-01-13, 03:25 PM   #4  
Thanks so much for your quick, kind reply. I will take your advice and put the strip in at the livingroom/hall entrance. If nothing else, it will slow my grandsons down from sock skating from the hall into the living room.

GA

05-01-13, 04:00 PM   #5  
Vicky, study the installation process really well, please. You cannot change direction with laminate. this means you must have transition pieces at the doors of each room. Each room must be laid independent of each other in a flowing method.....forward only.

Search this Thread