Finish for older just sanded oak stairs

Old 05-06-13, 10:33 AM
Finish for older just sanded oak stairs

All-

Now that the oil is out, what would be the best finish for my stairs?
I mentioned in a previous thread it's an older house (1955) and a split
level. Stairs going up are oak (5 stairs). Stairs going down are ??? Strange the stairs gong down are not the same wood as the stairs going up. Maybe pine??

At any rate I want a gloss finish, goes with the rest of the floors. Trouble is the
stairs are in constant use , they both lead to bedroom area's and need to be in
some use during the process. Something fast drying? Or I could coat every other stair, wait till cured then do the other ones.

But what finish is durable and scratch resistant? And gloss.

...AR

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil base polys dry to a harder film than their water based counterpart. Oil base gloss tends to be a bit shinier than waterbased gloss. There are some commercial water based polys that dry to a harder finish than the regular water based polys. I used one a couple of times that required a hardner/activator that seemed to do well - I don't remember the brand name You'll find better floor finishes at a store that specializes in hardwood than you'll find at your typical big box or paint store.

Waterbase dries quicker than oil base but it still has a several day cure time where it would be hard enough for heavy traffic. Light stocking feet traffic is ok shortly after it's dried. Every other step is an option but remember each step will need 2-3 coats..... but sometimes you have to do what you have to do

Old 05-09-13, 11:33 PM
If you have not already might I suggest Bona high traffic. Or maybe a Varathane either way your looking for something traffic or high traffic another option is a gym floor finish. Tough as nails but no so forgiving is you mess up. For the pine to look closer to the oak try a stain it will help to make them look closer.