Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Install Quarter Round when there is large gap underneath the baseboard?

CANADA

05-17-13, 05:59 PM   #1  
Install Quarter Round when there is large gap underneath the baseboard?

Hello.

I recently purchased a house and ripped out all the carpets (so I can refinish the hardwood floor underneath).

I noticed is that the gaps underneath the Baseboard for two walls are fairly big. The biggest spots are 1/2 inch to 11/16th of an inch. While the quarter mould would cover it, nailing the mould to the baseboard will be impossible in those areas.

Just wondering what are my options. Should I remove and reattach the baseboards? (Will require redoing all the baseboards in both rooms) nail the quarter into the floor? use glue?

Thanks.

pictures of the gap underneath the baseboard: Baseboard Gap - Imgur

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

05-17-13, 06:03 PM   #2  
nail at a 45 angle, to the floor.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-18-13, 05:29 AM   #3  
Agree. Use at least 2" finish nails. I do see that the baseboard is "dated", and new speedbase would really enhance the hardwood floors and cover not only the gap, but the paint line above as well since it is probably slightly taller than what you have. Prepaint the base and install it, and you will have minimal finish work to do.

CANADA

05-20-13, 05:32 PM   #4  
Thank you very much.

I will stuff some wood strips into those gaps and then nail he shoe mould into the floor at 45 degrees.

If I have time, I certainly would like to re-do the baseboard as well, with the new better looking ones. However that will depends on how soon I can get the interior wall paints done.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread