Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Can I Match One Oil Based Polyurethane Wood Floor Section with Another?

NJ

05-21-13, 08:28 PM   #1  
How Can I Match One Oil Based Polyurethane Wood Floor Section with Another?

I live in a small space and I am refinishing the living room wood floor. There was no way for me to get all of the furniture into another room, so I placed it in a confined space in the room.

I sanded and applied one coat of polyurethane and it is drying and looks good. I will wait at least three days and then move the furniture to the area of the room that will be finished. I will then sand the unfinished area and apply polyurethane.

My question is- how do I best "connect" the two sections so that they look seamless? I imagine that I am going to have to go a little bit over the edge of the "finished" part when I do the second part.

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-22-13, 05:13 AM   #2  
Stopping and starting where the 2 boards meet should work ok. Stopping mid way on a board is guaranteed to show!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

05-22-13, 05:27 AM   #3  
If you overlap, you will always see the lap marks in the sheen where your last coat ended, since the poly goes down in thin layers like a sheet of plastic. You would have been better off if you carefully taped along the edge of a single plank and finished up to it.

NJ

05-22-13, 06:55 AM   #4  
Hi. I had thought about creating a boundary line with tape, but I did not follow through with it unforturnately.

If the mismatch is very visible, can i sand down that area and then light apply a coat to cover that area and create a blended look?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-22-13, 09:26 AM   #5  
I'd sand down the blended area as you sand the remainder of the floor. It would never have occurred to me to use tape [I'm good with a brush ] but keeping a straight line where 2 boards meet is imperative to hide the fact that the whole floor wasn't refinished at the same time.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread