Different levels of subfloor - is it worth leveling?

Old 05-21-13, 08:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Different levels of subfloor - is it worth leveling?

I am redoing the floor on the first floor of my house - concrete slab.
When I initially installed the floor about 10 years ago i used different underlayments in different rooms
If I install the new floor (using a thicker underlayment) almost butting it to existing baseboards, leaving about 1/4" gap on perimeter, covering that gap with quarterround.
Please see my previous post below, if the answer to my baseboard question is yes, i.e. I need to take them off. The answer to current question is moot.

Old 05-22-13, 06:27 AM
N
link

Here is a link to the post: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/so...erlayment.html

Again, the question is if it is doable. To leave such a small gap between the laminate floor (that is probably does not expand and contract at the same rate as wood, but still) and the baseboard. I really don't want to deal with any buckling...
If that is not an option I may just use same thickness underlayment and use similar reducer to the one i used before.

Old 05-22-13, 07:20 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is not imperative that the baseboards be removed. Looks like you already have a bit of a gap under them anyway. Just make sure that the floor is centered so that any shifting will not expose the end of the cuts by peeking out from the shoe molding.

Old 05-24-13, 09:19 AM
N
Thank you czizzi,

you see this is my concern, the space I have below the baseboard is not enough to bring the bedroom floor with the rest of the flooring in the hallway.
So if I want to keep the same level, i will have to almost butt it to the baseboard, i can not go under it. Will leaving 1/4" of gap all around enough for the temperature fluctuations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: