Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Matching hardwood floor to adjacent tile using 5mm plywood, where should felt go

Matching hardwood floor to adjacent tile using 5mm plywood, where should felt go

Old 05-22-13, 11:26 PM

Hi all,

Long time lurker of the DIY forums, first post.

I am installing 3/4" solid prefinished acacia in Illinois over 3/4" OSB subfloors on the first floor of a home with a basement. I am using a 5mm plywood underlayment (this one) to bring the new hardwood floors up to the level of some adjacent tile. I am also using 15 pound asphalt felt as a moisture retarder.

Should I put the asphalt felt under the plywood underlayment or over it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-13, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! As long as you are confident in the product, use it. 5mm isn't very thick for underlayment. Place the builder's felt on top of all the subflooring, then apply your hardwood. I am assuming you are installing 3/4" T&G with either staples or cleats.

Old 05-23-13, 09:57 AM
Hi Chandler, thanks for your reply. I am confident in the plywood underlayment, it seems to be very high quality. My question was more about whether the asphalt should go over or under the underlayment. From your post it sounds like it should go over.

Old 05-23-13, 10:00 AM
Forgot to say... you're correct that it is 3/4" tongue and groove solid hardwood, being installed with 2" 15.5ga staples.

Thanks again.

Old 05-23-13, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The roofing felt always goes between the hardwood and the subfloor. It helps to eliminate any squeaks when the 2 woods expand/contract.