Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can you mismatch wood flooring in your house?

OR

05-28-13, 03:53 PM   #1  
Can you mismatch wood flooring in your house?

I have a separate dining room from my living room that is divided by the kitchen. My dining room and 2 bedrooms are hardwood. My kitchen is a linoleum and my livingroom is carpet. Does anyone know if it is common practice to use two different colors of wood finish in their house? I was thinking of doing a darker color in the living room so their aren't too similar? What is everyones opinion? Thanks

Sponsored Links

WA

05-28-13, 05:10 PM   #2  
It isn't common but it is your house and you can do as you please. In my house I have traditional, site finished oak flooring in the kitchen and dining area as well as a square section with ceramic tile at the front door. I had a light maple Wilsonart laminate installed in place of the carpet in the living room (adjacent to the kitchen) and hallway. I will someday install a light maple engineered hardwood in the bedrooms and also replace the laminate in the hallway. I do not think the laminate clashes with the oak in any way other than it being considerably thinner and needing transition strips between the laminate and oak.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

05-28-13, 06:53 PM   #3  
Only opion I have is a dark color will show every speck of dirt and scratches.

Group Moderator

WI

05-28-13, 07:27 PM   #4  
Sometimes it can be very difficult to match so making them deliberately different can, IMO, often look better than trying to match and falling just short.

CAL

05-29-13, 02:47 PM   #5  
Yes!

The short answer is definitely yes. A home should have an aesthetic "feel" throughout it. Some are just ugly like #3 and #6 **************, and over time, age terribly. Suddenly a "matched" floor becomes "unmatched". When picking a floor you should consider things like future-proofing - if it's too stylistic and aggressive, you face the possibility of having a floor that becomes outdated sooner rather than later. If you choose class and more classic tones, you can create a "classic" feel - even 40 years in the future.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-29-13 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Blog sites prohibited. Link removed.

Search this Thread