Can you mismatch wood flooring in your house?

Old 05-28-13, 03:53 PM
Can you mismatch wood flooring in your house?

I have a separate dining room from my living room that is divided by the kitchen. My dining room and 2 bedrooms are hardwood. My kitchen is a linoleum and my livingroom is carpet. Does anyone know if it is common practice to use two different colors of wood finish in their house? I was thinking of doing a darker color in the living room so their aren't too similar? What is everyones opinion? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-13, 05:10 PM
It isn't common but it is your house and you can do as you please. In my house I have traditional, site finished oak flooring in the kitchen and dining area as well as a square section with ceramic tile at the front door. I had a light maple Wilsonart laminate installed in place of the carpet in the living room (adjacent to the kitchen) and hallway. I will someday install a light maple engineered hardwood in the bedrooms and also replace the laminate in the hallway. I do not think the laminate clashes with the oak in any way other than it being considerably thinner and needing transition strips between the laminate and oak.

Old 05-28-13, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only opion I have is a dark color will show every speck of dirt and scratches.

Old 05-28-13, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Sometimes it can be very difficult to match so making them deliberately different can, IMO, often look better than trying to match and falling just short.

Old 05-29-13, 02:47 PM
Yes!

The short answer is definitely yes. A home should have an aesthetic "feel" throughout it. Some are just ugly like #3 and #6 **************, and over time, age terribly. Suddenly a "matched" floor becomes "unmatched". When picking a floor you should consider things like future-proofing - if it's too stylistic and aggressive, you face the possibility of having a floor that becomes outdated sooner rather than later. If you choose class and more classic tones, you can create a "classic" feel - even 40 years in the future.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-29-13 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Blog sites prohibited. Link removed.