Laying Ceramica Tile over Parquet Flooring

Old 05-31-13, 09:34 AM
Laying Ceramica Tile over Parquet Flooring

I have purchased the following Ceramica tile (that can be grouted) for my entry way floor and I need help with installation.

12 in. x 12 in. Shasta Resilient Vinyl Tiles (30 sq. ft. / case)-53112 at The Home Depot

I currently have a wood parquet floor (90's era) that is in great condition and solidly on the floor. The parquet butts up to two carpet doorways, the front door entry and a stairway to the basement.

I want to know if I can go over the top of this parquet, and if so, do I need to use an overlay treatment first? Also, how would I finish the transition between carpet and Ceramica and stairway and Ceramic?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-13, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there are any imperfections in the floor such as seams between the parquet or any kind of texture, it will telescope through the vinyl and be visible after use. Maybe not as much with these tiles as with sheet vinyl, but proper prep in key to any installation.Normally, vinyl floors are prepped by putting down a 1/4" plywood and skim coating the seams to make them disappear. Also, as always, not crazy about peel and stick tiles. May want to look into a floating vinyl floor. they are thicker, require less prep and will not leave any glue residue should you or someone down the road want to change the flooring.

Old 05-31-13, 02:48 PM
If I understand you correctly, you are saying to leave the parquet floor down, and put 1/4" plywood over the top of it, skim the edges and then do tile. This may be a silly statement, but isn't parquet wood flooring, so I'd have to put plywood over parquet? Perhaps I could put a sealant over the parquet? I don't particularly want to raise the height of my floor by much as I don't want to have to cut my front door - which I think is a steel door. Also, if I did have to put down plywood, how do I solve the transition areas with carpet and stairs? To be honest, I'm not a fan with the self stick tiles either, but from what I've read, these seem to be a much improved version. Haven't seen or heard any negatives....yet!

Old 05-31-13, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can re-read my post if you like... What I said is how normal vinyl is prepped. I have not installed this particular tile. But in general, I frown upon peel and stick anything. I feel it is the industry preying on your desire to Do it yourself. What could be more easy than pre-pasted tiles, right? Short cut the prep steps will save you time, but can't guarantee long term your flooring will satisfy you.