Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trouble with ZAR Ultra Poly on refinished floors

ME

06-01-13, 10:28 AM   #1  
Trouble with ZAR Ultra Poly on refinished floors

I am currently wrapping up a project to restore hardwood flooring from a once carpeted floor. I sanded with a USand and 24,40,80 grit. and then handsanded with drywall pole with 120. No stain or sealant. I applied first and third coat with a brush but middle coat was 3/16 roller, and used pole sander with 220 screen in between coats. The poly I am using is ZAR Ultra Poly with satin finish, here is the pic:

Name:  DSC_0049_01.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  22.4 KB

You see in the image the line where part of the floor looks wet/waxy and part does not?

The left coat was applied on Monday of last week, so it's been 5 days but has looked as it does now since Tuesday really. The right coat I put down Tuesday night. Now, the weather changed on Wednesday so it went from being dry, breezy and cool on Monday and tuesday to rain (on Wednesday) and humid and hot ever since. So I am supposing this is the cause? I closed windows and moved dehumidifier in there for a day or two but this did not accomplish anything.

I am planning on waiting longer and hoping eventually they will look the same? I'm just surprised I see no difference or improvement day after day with the right side. The other difference is that I did switch to new can of poly, but they are exactly the same brand and type. Should I just wait longer? Or my other thought was to just apply one more coat but do it all at once, but I feel like that shouldn't matter. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-01-13, 02:09 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums David!

It's a little difficult to tell from the pic what's a sheen difference and/or reflection

Does it all feel smooth? does a clean soft rag glide smoothly over both areas or does it drag a little in spots?

I doubt it will look much different given more time to dry/cure. I'd sand lightly and apply another coat of poly. Be sure to remove all the sanding dust! It's always best to coat an entire floor at the same time. Did you stir your new can of poly before using?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

06-01-13, 02:23 PM   #3  
Thanks for reply. I thought the pic came out good for showing the difference!

You can see a line that starts from the right side of the radiator (right of pic). If you follow along that board with your eye. That's where I stopped for the day and to the right is where I finished the following day. The sun is coming through above that radiator so you can see there is a big difference in how it is reflecting on either side of that line.

It all feels smooth, and a rag glides easily over both areas, no dragging at all. I suppose that's good?

I will sand and do the whole thing over, do you think the 220 drywall screen I am using is a good choice? Thanks again so much, as you can tell I have no experience whatsoever.

As far as stirring goes, I must admit. I didn't stir but rather gently inverted the can several times before opening. I didn't have anything to stir with and didn't think it would hurt. I did this with the first can too.

Last edited by davidriasp; 06-01-13 at 02:24 PM. Reason: grammer

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-01-13, 02:39 PM   #4  
My eyesight isn't the best but I think I see it now, did you double coat that one board?

220 drywall screen should do ok. You should never ever shake poly/varnish as it can introduce air bubbles into the finish. It's always best to take a stir stick [or similar] and mix the poly. That brings the solids up from the bottom of the can. Failure to do so can result in an uneven finish.

Since a rag glides across the finish with no dragging that means the wood is well sealed. Sometimes parts of the wood will absorb more finish than other parts resulting in a sheen difference but it doesn't appear to be an issue in your case.

ME

06-01-13, 04:11 PM   #5  
Ok thank you. I think I'm gonna get a new can, mix it well. Sand and do one more coat. I'll save the rest of the can for something less important.

Maybe the second can wasn't mixed enough, although I'd think a couple of inversions of the can would do it. Can you get a lot of separation with this kind of poly?

Anyways I will let you know how it turns out, I'm sure it will be great in the end. The floor has come such a long way already!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-02-13, 03:43 AM   #6  
While I'm not overly familiar with that brand of poly, they do tend to separate with the solids falling to the bottom. The longer the can has set the longer it takes to stir the solids off of the bottom. It's been decades since I've shook a can of poly so I don't know how much shaking it takes to mix it thoroughly .... but as previously stated, poly/varnish should always be stirred and never shaken.

Your floor does look nice FWIW - minor defects in the finish usually aren't all that noticeable once the room is filled back up with furniture and your mind is busy with other things.

Search this Thread