Can I install laminate without molding between these rooms?

Old 06-01-13, 04:13 PM
Can I install laminate without molding between these rooms?

I hope this works, I am attaching a drawing of 2 rooms in which I want to install laminate.

Can I install laminate from one of the large rooms into the other large room without a T-molding in the 6' opening between the two?

The total distance will be about 30 feet at the longest.

Thanks, Smitty

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I think you will find a limit in your flooring manufacturer's specifications in how far you can floor without installing some sort of transition. In theory you can lay flooring from one room to the other (N-S) as long as you don't have to back track, as you would in a closet (or E-W). I wouldn't. Although one room may be square (unlikely), the other one will take up any error and multiply it throughout the room. A transition will give you a place to "correct" the flooring.

All that said, and I am not even a fan of laminate. I know it is cheap, but equal in quality to what you pay for it.

Old 06-01-13, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. This is going to be Harmonics Laminate from Costco and the specs say it can be run 40 feet without a break.

I guess my question is whether or not the wall to the left of the 6 foot opening is cause for using a T-molding across the opening.

Thanks
Smitty

Old 06-02-13, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the manufacturer says you can run 40', then let it be done. The wall presents no problem as long as you are running it N-S (in laying order, not direction of flooring). You will need to trim the pieces along the wall with a table saw and snap the piece at the doorway in place. Start the other room at this point, ripping the pieces from on both sides as needed on the table saw to maintain a straight line across the room.