Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Raising Subfloor before laminate?

GA

06-02-13, 01:27 PM   #1  
Raising Subfloor before laminate?

The drop in flooring from my Foyer to living room is 1.5 Inches. I have Italian Porcelain in my Foyer. I have removed Carpet and planning to put in a laminate in living room. Does it make sense to put a 5/8" Plywood before laying the laminate? That will make the drop in floor height to near 3/4".

LR is 16 X 19. Does putting a lot of plywood will result in extra load on the beams?
Thanks

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

06-02-13, 02:17 PM   #2  
The extra layer adds strength to the floor. It will stiffen it up. I would add another 3/4" to minimize the differences even more. You probably don't need the extra layer for anything other than the trip hazard. Will it create a trip hazard at another location or doorway other than at the foyer?

GA

06-02-13, 02:35 PM   #3  
Thanks for the response. No; there is no other entrance. This is the only place. Even if I add 3/4" plywood, there is still another 3/4" difference in floor height. You think it is still worth?

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

06-02-13, 02:50 PM   #4  
It will shrink as you install the flooring

3/4" added subfloor
1/8" laminate underlayment sound deadening
1/4" laminate
1/4" threashold transition piece to cap off the edge of the laminate and maintain the expansion gaps required

Search this Thread