Installing oak hardwood in different humidities

Old 06-06-13, 08:10 AM
Installing oak hardwood in different humidities

I installed half of my hardwood in low humidity (last Nov, wintertime). Now I want to do the rest. House is at higher humidity, maybe 40-50% (I can find out exactly). Flooring to be installed has been resting in boxes on the main floor, where it's going to be installed.

The stuff installed in Nov looks great, a little bit of cracking when walking on it but my subfloor isn't that great. I'm happy with it.

If I install the stuff now in higher humidity, is there any concern that I'll see gaps this winter when the air dries out?

My friend moved into a new house, and there are gaps everywhere. I can't believe how bad it looks. That's why I'm concerned.

Thanks!
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-13, 08:38 AM
This definitely does require some concern. With that being said wood does expand and contract with the amount of moisture around it.. If you do not have a dehumidifier and it were me.. I would just waiting until the winter. Just to be on the safe side. I hope this helps, let us know what you end up doing!

Old 06-06-13, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If all has been in the same room, acclimating at the same time, you should be OK. Whether in the box or on the floor, it is in the same environment. It has been expanding and contracting at the same pace. I would not worry much and don't use your friends house as a guide.

Search this Thread