Laminate with new sub floor over old hardwood floor question.

Old 06-07-13, 06:05 PM
Laminate with new sub floor over old hardwood floor question.

We want to install a wood laminate flooring over our old oak hardwood floor. Carpet over the hardwood now that will come up. There are some squeeky spots and in one spot old termite damage that the carpet went over. Termite problem resolved years ago, but damage still there. My question is can I install plywood or particle board over the old oak wood floor, then the laminate? Does there need to be some kind of barrier between the old oak and the new sub floor, and if so what? Also, Once the new subfloor is layed, should the laminate be glued, nailed or floated?
Thank you,
zack

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Zack, welcome to the forums! You lassoed a definite non laminate member, here, so wait on others to give their points, OK?

I am a wood guy, so refurbishing the existing hardwoods and repairing the damaged areas would be my first thought. If I can't talk you in to click lock engineered flooring and you are set on laminate, then you can install the laminate directly over your oak flooring using a manufacturer's suggested underlayment. You'll need to determine the height you need at other finished edges, such as at doors, and tile floors in case the floor needs to be raised more. Don't use anything less than 1/2" as a subflooring on top of the hardwood.

Click lock laminate is a floater, glued is a mess, and you won't nail laminates.

Old 06-07-13, 07:04 PM
This is what we have picked out. It is tongue and groove, and says hardwood. But I'm not an expert, thought laminate was a just a catch all phrase.
Wood Floors, Hardwood Floors - Mannington Flooring

Old 06-08-13, 01:12 AM
And why would you not just refinish the floors you have now?
That's engineered flooring not laminite your thinking of installing.
One draw back to that type flooring is the bevels on the outside edges that tend to trap dirt.

Old 06-08-13, 03:49 AM
Laminate is MDF or HDF with a picture of wood on top and a coating of Aluminum Oxide. What you have picked out is a plywood type product with a veneer of real hardwood. While laminate can't be refinished, you may want to check, as I believe you may get one or two refinishes out of this product. Far superior to laminate.

Old 06-08-13, 06:56 AM
There is old termite damage to the old oak flooring, a hole in the middle of the room where a floor furnace used to be and I put a piece of plywood in the hole before laying the carpet, plus the nail holes around the edge from the carpet tack board. We like the look of the hickory and I'm hoping it will be less work than replacing the oak boards in the old floor. I may be wrong. Thank you, I'm glad to hear that what we've picked out is better than laminate. Hoping it will last as long as we're in the house, and after that, who cares; we'll be 6' under.

Search this Thread