Termite Damage

Old 06-08-13, 12:12 PM
Termite Damage

My kitchen has termite damage and I removed all the flooring till the subflooring which consist of 1 x 6 wood run diagnally through out the house. It is in perfect condition.

The height difference from the top of the subflooring to the top of the existing flooring is 7/8" . The existing flooring isn't in great condition with some termite spots throughout the house. I'm planning to put flooring on top of the existing hardwood floor.( Don't have much of a option I think.

They don't have any 7/8" thick plywood or osb at any of my local stores.

My question is can i use two layers of 7/16 norbord sheathing to level out flooring to existing subflooring. I want to put tile on kitchen area. ( I already put 1 layer of the osb sheathing ) Before I put the second one I wan't to make sure there isn't a cheaper and better alternative. Probably should of asked before putting the first layer. Will my house squeak even if the 1" diagnal sublflooring present so in reality i will have 1-5/8" worth of subflooring total after finished product.

Any help appreciated. Thaks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-13, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
So, you are asking about two layers of norbord but you already have a layer of OSB down?

I am not familiar with norbord but whatever you put down and how it performs will largely depend on your installation. I would glue & securely screw the layers together and into the joists as nails can tend to work loose over time.

In your case I would use a product like AdvanTech which is available in 7/8" thickness. AdvanTech is a high quality high strength type of OSB that is extremely rigid and makes a good subfloor underneath the cement board for your tile. And, getting the 7/8" thickness in one board minimises the chance of squeaks. AdvanTech is just one brand so see what is available in your area and you may have to look somewhere other than a big box store like Lowes or HomeDepot.

Old 06-09-13, 08:16 AM
Thanks for reply.

Actually all my house has subflooring made out of 1x6 studs laying flat side next to each other with about 1\4" gap. above that I'm putting the two layers of osb not t&g I doubt it will squeak what im worried about is moisture when putting tile one it. I know its not practical but since i already did half of the work and it seems very sturdy i really don't want to take off the first layer of osb. Also Im actually doing both screwing and nailing boards to subflooring.
(Im not messing with subflooring at all just adding a layer to bring up to height with existing flooring .)

Old 06-09-13, 08:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't forget one layer of height will be 1/4" concrete backer underlayment, so figure that in with the thickness of your subflooring. You can't lay tile directly on plywood/OSB.

Search this Thread