Glue down Hardwood questions - dried glue, small gap found.

Old 06-15-13, 01:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glue down Hardwood questions - dried glue, small gap found.

I've been really careful and wiped up the "squeeze through" with the glue. That stuff is horrible to work with. I taped liberally and checked again for squeeze through. I had to take a break (not as young as I used to be) and when I came back some more glue had squeezed through... hmmmm.... not good. I wiped it up as best as I can but it seems like it's going to be inevitable that some finds it's way, or I'll miss a spot. How do you remove the glue after it's hardened? Hasn't happened yet, but I want to be prepared....

Also, I was pretty careful about tapping the boards together but still found 1 gap, not big, but I know it's there. Anyway to "hide" them?

Thanks
Crusty.

Old 06-15-13, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Try warm or hot water on a rag. Don't soak the wood but damp enough to rub with the cloth. Check the instructions on the glue container, if is says clean up with soap and water, this should work. Let us know if otherwise.

Old 06-15-13, 02:22 PM
C
czizzi, I think it says mineral spirits. Ive been using that while actually doing the work. Also, I've noticed that it behaves like rubber cement. VERY elastic. It isn't completely dry but I was able to scrap it away pretty easily in a couple places in preparation for continuing the job....

Of all the home improvement jobs I've done, I like this one the least... this glue is horrible to work with... maybe I just haven't found my groove yet....

Crusty.

Old 06-15-13, 05:26 PM
C
Update to this....

The glue DOES act like rubber cement. Once it's really tacky and has a solid skin, it seems to peel well. I had some left on the floor from the previous rows when I took a break. It wasn't that hard to clean up. A bit of scraping..

The last set of planks went down much easier now that I've had a chance to work with the glue some more....

Crusty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: