Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor to Tile / Tile to Floor Help. First Time DIY'er

CAL

06-14-13, 10:27 PM   #1  
Floor to Tile / Tile to Floor Help. First Time DIY'er

Long time lurker on these forums but first time poster. I have learned alot from these forums so first off thank all of you who post.

Backstory: Im getting first condo/place which i will own. The previous owners did a terrible job with the floors. The 2nd floor, which has the kitchen transition to living room, is entirely tiled with hideous terra cotta style tiles. I am going to re tile the kitchen and put laminate floor on living room. Im looking for suggestions on height differential or any safety comments. This is my first LARGE scale DIY job.

Here is my plan. Remove everything down to subfloor for kitchen and living room. Start fresh.

In the Kitchen

I would thinset 1/8 (.125), cement board 1/4 (.250), thinset (1/8 1.25), tile 3/8 (.375) *That is height of tile per package

Total Height .875

In Living Room

Attach 3/8 (.375) plywood to existing subfloor to make for height and make more secure. Laminate floor 10 mm + 1mm attached pad (.433).

Total Height .808

.875 - .808 = .67 Tile to Laminate floor differential. To counter that would use a reducer and or T molding if would work.

I am concerned about my procedures and the height difference. I could replace the 3/8 plywood with 1/4 but that just leaves bigger gap. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-15-13, 03:30 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Your floor height will be a difference of .067, which is minimal. .67 is over half an inch. I don't guess we can talk you out of laminate and into thicker, better constructed engineered click lock flooring?? Do you have your heart set on the laminate?? In either event, you can most likely use a t molding made to coordinate with the flooring as your transition. You'll need to leave a gap of approx 3/4" between your flooring and the tile in order for the t molding to fit.

CAL

06-15-13, 03:57 AM   #3  
One thing I have learned from these forums is the distaste for laminate flooring haha. It is something I have to admit has crossed mind but overall comes down to a cost issue like most things. Still something I look into every so often, the project is in planning stage still a good month out.

Besides the laminate floor did everything else seem to gel? Was I missing any steps or procedures?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-15-13, 04:04 AM   #4  
Other than the math, you are good to go!! Let us know if we can help once you get started. Sometimes the low initial price can be deceiving in the long run. Low price won the bid on the Challenger "O" ring.

Search this Thread