Sanding Hardwood floor problem !!!

Old 06-16-13, 06:11 AM
Sanding Hardwood floor problem !!!

Hello friends I tried sanding my floors yesterday and used the rotary sender and 36 and 40 grit paper. Well when sending, I started seeing these glue like spots left on the floor that are really difficult to take off. Also my sandpaper had the same thing glued on it. It liiks like the dust from floor is overheating and becoming glue like. Any advise???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-13, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that I've ever sanded off any waterbased poly but it sounds similar to what happens when you aggressively sand latex paint - the sanding process heats up and melts the latex paint. I'm not sure what you can do other than change the pads more often. Hopefully some of the other will have more advice for you.

Old 06-16-13, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's the chances someone's has been waxing that floor?

Old 06-16-13, 06:44 AM
Someone suggested to use smaller grit paper, but not sure if that's going to help... Here are some pictures...

Old 06-16-13, 06:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, when you say "rotary sander" are you talking about a drum sander or a random orbital one? 36 grit paper should be pretty much eating anything on the floor pretty quickly I would think. I would expect this result from a finer grit, but I'm certainly no flooring guy.

Old 06-16-13, 06:49 AM
I used the random orbital one. with 4 small circles that rotate. Also I would think that waxed floors should be able to sand without any problems....

Old 06-16-13, 06:53 AM
Oh, I think absolutely they can be sanded. However, any coating on there is going to get heated up due to the friction and melt into a gummy substance. As Marksr said it happens when sanding a surface for painting all the time.

All I can suggest is getting a large pack of the pads as you are likely going to need them. You may have to change them often and then go back with finer grit ones afterwards.

Old 06-16-13, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
The grit is fine... when removing the original finish, you probably have to change the sandpaper way more often than you have been. You only switch to finer grits once all the finish has been removed.

Old 06-16-13, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't mind changing paper, but it seems like it starts after 2 minutes of sanding...to finish one room I would probably need $200 worth of sandpaper...and it's not like sandpaper is used up, just this residue glued to it...after you remove it, sandpaper looks like new...

Attached Images   
Old 06-16-13, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
If you have ever been on a job where the floors are being sanded, you would find that professionals do indeed go through a lot of sandpaper. A drum sander is usually a way better choice for removing finishes.

Something else that will help is that I am imagining that you probably need to move the sander 4x faster than you currently are. You don't sit in one spot and let the paper heat up, trying to get the floor perfectly sanded the first time over it, you move very fast over the floor, even missing areas, that you will go back over again and again later. The key is not letting the paper heat up so much, like it does if you sit in one spot trying to get the floor perfectly clean the first time.

It may also help if you have someone sweep or vacuum the floor as you are working, so that any dust/shavings don't get remelted under the pads.

Old 06-16-13, 07:30 AM
I did go a bit slower, and than I tried to go faster which did help a bit, but still had similar issues just not as bad as when I go slow....I think that only way to completely avoid it, would be to run around the room?

I was thinking that belt sander might be a better option although, I would have to be much more careful with that one. This is the first time I am doing this, and I only saw videos on youtube and what other say on forums...

Old 06-16-13, 07:40 AM
If you are going to be using a belt sander with 30-40 grit belts, you are going to have to be VERY careful. At that point, you are basically going to be shaving your floor.

Old 06-16-13, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
You can slow down once the finish is mostly gone, but yeah you would be moving pretty fast. It could be that the sander you rented has problems with spinning too fast. Guess that's also a possibility.

This sounds crazy but I know some guys will spray non-stick cooking spray on their pads to help with the sticking. I hesitate to mention it because you don't want to get oils on the floor that will affect the way the floor accepts either the stain or the finish.

Old 06-17-13, 07:10 AM
I will give it a shot with a belt sander. What is the sandpaper grit I should start with considerig this is the first time that I'm doing it.

Old 06-17-13, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I wouldn't use a belt sander on a floor - it sands too aggressively with too little control! IMO a drum sander is easier to control than a belt sander ..... and drum sanders aren't really diy friendly.

Does anything come off on the rag if you wipe the floor with a rag damp with thinner?