Laminate floor and baseboard question

Old 06-21-13, 01:58 AM
Laminate floor and baseboard question

This is more of a check to see if i am correct. I removed baseboard, install the laminate leaving a gap between the wall and laminate then cover that gap with the baseboard sitting on top so it leaves room for expansion. No filling correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-13, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With laminate flooring you should leave about 1/2 to 3/4" of gap at all edges for expansion. Placing the baseboard on top of the laminate to allow for expansion is good, but most molding is only 1/2" thick, requiring the installation of shoe molding to help cover the crack created by the flooring spacing. Shoe molding should only be nailed to the baseboard, and not to the laminate.

Old 06-21-13, 08:53 AM
Your basics are correct. Be sure to read all the instructions for misc tips/etc. Mine said to gap 1/4 to 1/2". All the plank edges should have clearance for expansion movement. IMO the door jams are the tricky part to gap properly, and maintain a clean appearance.

My drywall is gapped off the slab 3/4" so I also have the drywall thickness gap to work with. I had to make some custom shims to fit the fist row, so they would not move. The standard shims in the pull bar kit would get crooked in this area.