Tile/thinset removal for floating laminate install

Old 06-19-13, 11:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile/thinset removal for floating laminate install

Just finished pulling up about 140 sq ft. of tile over a concrete sub-floor (dining room). Used a floor scraper on my sds plus rotary hammer and was able to grind most of the thinset ridges down, but the squares of thinset are still about 1/8 of an inch above sub floor. Will this affect the laminate? The laminate is pergo xp w/ attached pad and is 12mm thick, plus I will be laying a 6mm vapor barrier. Will i be better off grinding everything flat or will the floating floor be ok over this?

Old 06-20-13, 02:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hope your tile was in pretty bad shape to remove it and replace it with MDF and a picture of wood on top. Would not have been my choice. But, yes, you need a smooth surface to install the laminate flooring. Was there concrete backer underlayment under the tile? That should be removed, and the thinset will come with it. Otherwise, grinding it off may be the only way to achieve the smoothness you need.

Old 06-20-13, 08:49 AM
A
save yourself alot of work and dust. Just use a self leveling underlayment to smooth out the thinset ridges. Its a cement based product mixed soupy, then troweled over the floor, it will level it out

Old 06-20-13, 02:41 PM
A
Aloha and thanks for the replys guys!

I went ahead and used my floor scraper again with my sds plus rotary hammer and chiseled everything down. I pretty much have everything knocked down to below 1/16 of an inch.

Old 06-20-13, 02:56 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree laminate would be my next to last choice of flooring over a slab floor.
Peel and stick being my last.
And of course you did a moisture check to see if laminate will work right?

Old 06-21-13, 08:58 AM
E
I used an air hammer with a wide 2" ish chisel bit and large shovel size floor scrapper to remove the thinset at my place. I'm so glad I have my air hammer/compressor. It was perfect for this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: