Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to prevent the damage from preventer (chair mat on laminate)

CAL

06-23-13, 02:56 PM   #1  
How to prevent the damage from preventer (chair mat on laminate)

I just replaced my 8 yo engineered hardwood with the TecsUn laminate in the office. Both chairs used to have chair mats under them and did pretty good job in the center where the chair was, but the perimeter or edges of the mats damaged the floors themselves.
Is there any clever way of avoiding this kind of damage?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-23-13, 03:06 PM   #2  
You may be using a floor mat made for carpet. Are there nibs on the bottom of the mat? I can't say jumping from engineered flooring to a laminate will be friendly to office chairs. I would try to find a cushioned mat to keep the laminate from becoming damaged by the chair movement. It may cause the chair to move slower, but won't tear up your flooring prematurely.

CAL

06-23-13, 03:36 PM   #3  
Thanks Larry,

No there is no nibs on the bottom, just flat surface. I think that it was the the dirt getting under the edge of the mat and then been forced into fairly soft wood with the weight of the chair. The laminate is not a top-notch, but i am hoping tougher than wood i had.
& no unfortunately the soft mat will not work, the Mrs. does not like it. :NO NO NO:

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-24-13, 03:47 AM   #4  
I have a traditional solid oak hardwood floor in my office. My mat sounds like yours but I've never noticed any issues ...... maybe you need to pick up the mat and clean under it more often

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread