Fraternity house wood floors

Old 06-28-13, 09:18 AM
Fraternity house wood floors

Hello all,

I am new to the forums, but as I've browsed around it looks like they will be increasingly helpful in my future projects. Well here goes nothing...

Currently I am a college student, handyman type here and there. I am living at my fraternity house this upcoming year and I would like to refinish to hardwood floors at the house before the end of the summer. Know I know what most of you all are thinking when you think frat house and let me just say that whatever it is you are thinking about nice new million dollar homes this is the complete opposite.

Our fraternity house was built in 1972. We have a one story house with a main large party room. Another small room we call "alumni room" and then two bedrooms to house 4 people total. As this house has been around 40 years it has taken plenty of damage. I know the main party room floor has been refinished from time to time but currently it looks as if there is no finish at all except in a few corner areas because it has been worn down. Also in the past year about 1/5 of the floor got so old it just about fell through so maintenance replaced just that one section with new wood, tried to match it to the old wood but never finished it.

So I am stuck with majority of 40 year old wood and a portion of new wood all pretty much unfinished.

My plan is to go in sand, paint our fraternity crest on the middle of the floor, and then throw down 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane on top. I've done a lot of research, but considering I have never truly refinished a floor start to finish I could use a little advise on how to go about it. Especially considering my situation with old frat house floor, new maintenance floor, painting our crest and stuff.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure what you are asking

Basically you sand the floor down, remove the dust, stain [or not] and apply the poly - sanding and removing dust between coats. It would be best to apply the 1st coat of poly, sand and then paint the crest. It will be easier to remove any errant paint that way and you'll still have 2-3 coats of poly over the paint to help protect it from wear.

Oil base polys dry to a harder finish than their waterbased counterpart but they do amber with age and might give your logo a yellow cast. Watebased polys don't amber or yellow.

almost forgot - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-28-13, 09:49 AM
Thanks,
I guess what I was really asking about any special precautions or things to worry about considering my situation. This floor really does take a beating, constantly spilled beer and takes heavy heavy wear on weekends. I've done a lot of research about painting wood floors and refinishing with poly and stuff, but 99% of the stuff out there seems to be geared towards a regular home refinish.

Old 06-28-13, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The mechanics of finishing a floor are pretty much the same whether it's commercial or residential. You'll find the better floor coatings at your local hardwood store, not a typical big box or home center.

Search this Thread