Newly Installed Hardwood (Engineered) Popping/Crackling

Old 07-01-13, 06:27 AM
Newly Installed Hardwood (Engineered) Popping/Crackling

Good Morning,
First post and looking for some advice.
I had my living room and all bedrooms finished with engineered hardwood (Hickory). After the install i notice all kinds of popping and crackling noises in high traffic areas (but not limited to them), mostly all over the house. In some points when i walk i can feel the wood moving, it does not appear to be the subfloor.

Here are some facts:
- 5 inch Wide Planks
- 1/2 inch thick
- Hickory Hardwood, Engineered, Twelve Oaks product
- Subfloor was fastened well, sanded by the installer, (House is 9 years old)
- Tongue and Groove system was nailed only, very well as i was here for the install.
- Flooring did have weeks to acclimate, house humidity was quite high and i am working to bring it down now.
- There are a couple small areas that he had to glue, and they are not moving or popping at all.
- I went into the basement below the living room and added bracing to the subfloor with no help.

At this point the only thing i can think of is a nailing problem. I called the installer and he agreed it was incredibly weird as he has installed this product before with no issue. He is a friend of a friend but a registered company and been doing this a long time, so im willing to work with him but still unhappy. He recommended some face nailing or even pulling up some parts to glue.

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-13, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was there felt installed between the hardwood and the subfloor?
The width of the board might be the culprit as a wide board won't be secured as well by the nails in the tongue as a narrower board would.

Old 07-01-13, 02:17 PM
they used the wax paper style underlay. It really is incredible how loud the popping sound is.

Old 07-02-13, 08:27 AM
ive discovered that the floors were stapled (not nailed) and they used 1" staples... are these too small?

Old 07-02-13, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
According to the info from several hardwood flooring companies...should have probably been 1 1/4-1 1/2". 1" was only recommended for thinner floors in the 1/4-5/16 range.

Unfortunately, you brand does not specifically mention what length staples to use on their site. You may want to give them a call.....