♜ Please Help ♜ imperfections after staining white oak flooring

Old 07-02-13, 04:08 AM
♜ Please Help ♜ imperfections after staining white oak flooring

Good morning,
I have recently started a project of removing all the carpet and replacing with white oak. With that said, this is the first room I've done so far and I've already messed up. After installing the flooring, I sanded using a rectangular floor sander using 60 and 120. This was sat morning. Looked beautiful. My wife and I were a little hesitant aboutthe darkness of the stain but went ahead anyway.

So here is where the trouble started! Last night, two days after sanding we stained the floor and there are imperfections everywhere, it looks as though it's foot prints and water marks where I foolishly wiped up after sanding some wood filler spots.

I haven't poly'ed it or anything but I think I'm probably going to have to resand right? Also, I guess we could take this opportunity to do the floor lighter. Should I use the 60 again or now that there is stain on the floor use 30. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ~Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-13, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure I understand what you have pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Did you apply the filler after staining? Have you tried wiping or scrubbing the floor with a rag wet with paint thinner?

Old 07-02-13, 05:16 AM
No, I applied the filler about an hour before staining, then 10 min before staining I sanded it then wiped up the dust with the damp sponge. I will send a picture shortly. I also think the sweat from the palm of my hands made marks as well. No i haven't tried anything yet, this was my first stop. haha Thanks for your quick response. -Dan

Old 07-02-13, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the wood have time to dry from the wet sponge before you applied the stain? I assume you used an oil base stain.

Old 07-02-13, 06:00 AM
No, I didn't I think that's the problem. Here is the stain I used. Minwax Wood Finish - Stains - Minwax

I guess i'll just rent the sander again and start over, I don't think I like the darkness of the "dark walnut" anyways. I think i'll go with "Provincial "

So do you recommend using 30 grit or should I use the 60 like I started to begin with?

Thanks Again!

Old 07-02-13, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd try scrubbing the floor with a thinner rag before I'd go thru the trouble of renting a sander and starting over although you do realize that the poly needs to be sanded in between coats. If you do sand the stain off, I'd start with the 60 and see how it does. If it isn't effective or the stain gums up the paper, switch to a coarser grit. I think the 60 grit will work.

Old 07-02-13, 10:45 AM
The poly needs to be sanded too??? Yikes!

Old 07-02-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As the poly dries it raises the grain of the wood a little. Also poly adheres better to sanded poly than to unsanded. The sanding between coats isn't a big job, just a light sanding to smooth it all out ....... makes for a nicer looking finish too