Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best way to refurb indoor stair treads

VA

07-02-13, 07:56 AM   #1  
Best way to refurb indoor stair treads

Pulled the carpet. The stair wood is pine or poplar or something not very hard. Will paint the risers white. Want to just stain the treads. Rest of the house flooring is 3" red oak planks. Not a wood guy. As usual, there are a lot of opinions out there on how to do this from "don't" to "use 10 coats of sealer".

Can anyone suggest a good in between set of steps? 1) Sand with fine grit, 2) wood putty staple holes? 3) Conditioner? 4) Stain something close to current red oak, 5) what kind of "sealer"?

KH

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-02-13, 08:07 AM   #2  
Ideally you'd replace the treads with hardwood, preferably oak to match the floors.

First off you'll need to sand the pine until it's all smooth/clean. Using a wood conditioner will help the soft wood absorb the stain more evenly although it will make whatever stain you pick lighter in color than it would be without the conditioner. You can test your stain on some scrap wood if you need help getting the color right. Most paint stores will apply samples to wood you bring to them.

Once the wood is stained and the first coat of poly applied, use colored putty to fill the staple/nail holes, sand lightly, remove the dust and apply another coat of poly. Once the 2 coats of poly are applied is a good time to prime and paint the risers. Errant paint can be removed off of poly easier than raw or stained wood. Once the risers are finished, sand the treads lightly, remove dust and apply your final coat of poly.

I prefer oil base poly both because it dries to a harder film than water base poly and deepens the colors naturally in the wood. The upside of water based poly is it dries quicker and doesn't amber any as it ages.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

07-02-13, 08:10 AM   #3  
Got a picture of what it looks like now?
Is there any over hang on the treads?
How thick are they?

VA

07-02-13, 08:57 AM   #4  
marksr - Perfect. Thanks. I know it's really infrastructure and not meant to be finished flooring but I'm going to give it a go anyway. Like many before me, I am sure. If it doesn't work out I can always do it the right way. I did the rest of the finish flooring in the house.

jc - Yes, it has a full bullnose built into the tread. About 1-1/2" overhang. Boards are solid wood about 1" thick. Got some gaps to fill in the landing but that is the only challenge I see (not programmed to see challenges right now!)

Search this Thread