Can still feel the wood grain after 3 coat of urthene.

Old 07-04-13, 01:00 PM
Can still feel the wood grain after 3 coat of urthene.

Hello.

I did my hardwood floor last month, used the Minwax water based oil modified Urethane coating. Applied 3 coat as specified by the manufacturer. Sanded the floor lightly with 220 grit sandpaper between each coating. I did not stain or use a sanding sealer. The first application of the urethane did raise the grain, but the 220 sanding have evened it out.

Once everything is done, the floor looks good, but I can still feel the wood grain with my bare feet or hand, and it has been bugging me for a while.

What might be the cause of this? Is it because I tried to apply too thin of a coat? sanded too much after first sealing coat? Would more coat resolve this issue and make the floor plastic smooth?

And most importantly, is it a big issue in terms of protection? or just cosmetic? Just want to get a peace of mind before I move all the living furniture in.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Depends on how smooth the wood was I would think. If you could feel grain after initial sanding...you'd probably still feel it at the end.

Old 07-04-13, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
The cause.... its wood! Maybe the floor wasn't sanded enough in the first place?

Old 07-04-13, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's my thought as well. Does the wood catch your stocking feet anywhere? If it looks good and even it sounds like it might not have been slick enough before you applied the first coat. Kind of hard to say without being there to inspect it firsthand.

Old 07-04-13, 03:24 PM
Hello.

I sanded with 100 grit sand paper. The wood was very smooth after the last sanding. You can't feel the grain.

However, the grain raised a lot after first application of the water based urthene. And I made sure to sand the floor smooth with 220 grt between each coat.

I guess it could be part of the wood's grain being very big and first time using water based urthene.

It definitely feels rougher walking on it with socks on. Like you can't slide on it like you do on a gym floor, but it doesn't grab my sock or anything like that.

Old 07-04-13, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like inadequate sanding between coats. RU doing this sanding by hand or with a screen/machine? Water based products do raise the grain more, and often take more coats to build, so the first 2 coats probably would have required a pretty aggressive sanding... perhaps with 180 or equivalent.