Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Used magic eraser on wood floor - how can I repair finish?

IL

07-04-13, 04:49 PM   #1  
Used magic eraser on wood floor - how can I repair finish?

I moved a sofa and found hard gunk stuck to my floor. Not thinking very clearly I used a magic eraser on it. This fixed the gunk but also polished the floor surface, leaving a noticeable reflective patch on a satin finish floor. The patch is probably about two inches in diameter and in a fairly noticeable spot.

Unfortunately I don't know what finish was used on the floor when it was redone a couple of years ago since I only recently moved in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? I thought about trying to rough up the spot a little with very fine sandpaper to at least minimize the glossiness, but the last thing I want to do is make things worse! I don't know how well it would work to try applying a very light coating of new urethane just over that spot and again I don't want to end up making things worse.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-05-13, 04:28 AM   #2  
I'd try scrubbing that area with a little mineral spirits and see how that does.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

07-07-13, 03:07 PM   #3  
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The key is that it needs to be made *slightly* rougher, since the satin finish has a slight texture that reflects the light differently.

Would it be advisable to try applying a very light coating of a new satin urethane over the damaged area? Is it possible to match satin finishes, or is that likely to make it even more noticeable than it already is?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-08-13, 03:27 AM   #4  
It's all but impossible to touch up poly on large surfaces like a floor. When there is no way around touching up a floor it's best to paint individual boards. If the same brand/sheen of poly is used it will generally blend in after a few days. The boards should be sanded first to garuntee good adhesion.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

07-26-13, 03:35 PM   #5  
The most I would do is a little wet sanding with a VERY light grit sandpaper. But, I'd just leave it and let normal wear bring it back to a matching state.

Search this Thread