Repairing 3' X 3' opening in existing Oak Hardwood Floor

Old 07-11-13, 01:47 PM
Repairing 3' X 3' opening in existing Oak Hardwood Floor

I have 2 rooms with 3 1/4" oak floors that are joined by a 6' door opening. There was a floor furnace centered in the door opening which I removed. I bought new 3 1/4" oak to repair the 3' X 3' opening.

I know normally when replacing 1 or 2 boards you cut off the bottom of the groove side. Since I will be replacing 3' of flooring should I do the opposite and cut off the last board tongue which will allow me to blind nail through the tongue on most of the boards? This would leave a gap to the subfloor on the last board butting up to an exiting board.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-13, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Doing it professionally would entail staggering the joints. You may still have that option. Could you post a few pictures, not closeups, of the area so we can see where your flooring lands in relation to their ends? You will need to frame up the opening and install subflooring to match what is there now. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-11-13, 04:46 PM
I already have the area framed in & sub floor installed. The boards to the right of the opening are 18" long to a closet wall. I'am considering removing them then staggering the new boards on the left side of opening.

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-13, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds as if you have a plan, and a good one. Are all the boards long? As in the ones under the carpet? Or are they short stubs that can be removed? I see you have a multimaster tool, so half the battle is won. For reference your boards are numbered 1 thru 10 from the bottom of the picture for clarity. Cut straight down through the tongue between board #1 and 2 on the right side. This will allow you to remove either board 1 or 2. The rest can be pried up. The challenge will be staggering the left side boards, but I feel you already know what to do. If we can help further, please chime in. Check back, too, as others will have more comments. Glad you are doing this yourself