Oreck 550 and refinishing hardwood floors

Old 07-21-13, 01:06 PM
Smile Oreck 550 and refinishing hardwood floors

Hello everyone,

First time poster, have lurked around here for a few months and soon to be first time home owner (of a house).

As I stated above, my wife and I will be purchasing a home in early August. I have limited knowledge of refinishing hardwood flooring. The floors in this house are scratched up from what appears to be dog nails. It doesn't seem too deep so I will probably use a 100-120 grit. Since this is a huge purchase, I want to do them myself, I bought a used Oreck 550 machine for this job.

I have been scouring the internet for info on what attachments I should use with the Oreck. I have to say YouTube is a huge help with this. What would you guys recommend to finish this (buffer type/wax). I do not want to polyurathane. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Recommendations on websites to purchase materials would also help.

Thank you,
Marcus

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-13, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your not willing to do this right by sanding off all the old finish and adding at least 2 coats of poly, why bother?

Old 07-22-13, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with that buffer but a search indicated it just has a 13" head - correct? I assume instead of refinishing you just want to buff out the scratches and wax ?? How deep are the scratches?
Is it possible to post pics of the floor? - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I don't know how aggressive you can get with sandpaper and not refinish. While you can get by with sanding the top layer of poly and then waxing to rejuvenation the finish, you don't want to sand down to raw wood and then apply wax. I don't know if a light sanding will remove the scratches but still leave enough poly. I'd be leery that 120 grit would remove too much of the existing finish.

Personally I'd rent a commercial sized buffer, sand and refinish the floor. Ideally a drum sander would be used but their aggressive sanding makes it easy for a diyer to get in trouble.

Old 07-22-13, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
I would want polyurethane on my floor - what's you objection to it?

Old 07-22-13, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mitch, I think he just wants to buff and wax ...... and get a nice new floor. I have seen some nice results on gym floors using only a buffer and floor wax but I have no idea if it will work with the OP's floor. I'm kind of doubtful that there will be enough finish left after sanding to make wax a viable option.

Old 07-22-13, 01:36 PM
Thank you - this is what I would like to do. I do not have any pics of the floor because I am not in there yet. I prefer just to buff and then put a wax on it.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-23-13, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know a lot about buffing/waxing floors. If no one on the forums comes forward you might try asking questions at your local janitorial supply store.