do I really need to level my floor?

Old 07-22-13, 11:23 AM
do I really need to level my floor?

Hi

I live in a one-bedroom apartment in a 3-storey wood framed building. My apt. is carpeted throughout, with a concrete subfloor. This summer I'm ripping out the carpet and putting in laminate.

I've been talking to professionals and it will cost around $1,500 (give or take a couple hundred either way) to level my floor. My next door neighbours didn't bother levelling. They put in engineered bamboo a couple years ago. It looks fine to me (and to them). It has the odd saggy spot but I'm wondering, so what? Will the floor actually get damaged over time? Will it break and cause a major headache for them? If the worst is a saggy spot, I'd rather spend the 1500 on something else.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 03:32 PM
nope, you don't NEED to do anything. But, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter. Otherwise, you forfeit any possibility of a warranty.

Old 07-26-13, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Laminate flooring is MDF with a picture of wood on it. Excessive flexing could compromise the strength of the tongue and groove locking feature that holds the floor together. Bamboo is real wood and therefore different that yours. Forget what the neighbor did, your unit is different, with a different floor, poured at a different time. You can not possibly be comparing apples to apples. As mentioned, you void all warranty's if you do not level the floor.

Old 08-06-13, 12:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not unless its uneven. If you have large dips that are not addressed you may find your floor sags and squeaks ;(

Old 08-06-13, 02:41 PM
What do you mean by "saggy spot"?

Old 08-06-13, 03:15 PM
You can not possibly be comparing apples to apples.
While we are talking of fruit, you noted your neighbor had installed engineered flooring. That's a far cry from laminate in quality. As Z said, it is cheap......maybe he didn't say it directly, but it is.