Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

HELP Plz! Installing laminate wood flooring N an open floor plan w/carpet & tile

HELP Plz! Installing laminate wood flooring N an open floor plan w/carpet & tile

Old 07-27-13, 07:19 AM

We are remodeling our living room & kitchen, which is an open floor plan, with congoleum tile being in the kitchen and carpet in the living room area. We are going to install laminate wood flooring in the whole area. We was wanting to lay the laminate wood over top the tile without having to take it up but there is a big transition space after we remove the carpet. After the carpet is up we are left with the subflooring.
My question is: How can we lay the laminate wood flooring without taking up the tile and making it even throughout the whole area (open floor plan), without putting down a threshold between the two? Or are we going to have to remove the tile??

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-13, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! First, laminate flooring in a kitchen is probably not a good idea. Laminate is merely MDF with a picture of wood on it covered with an aluminum oxide for protection. Water is it's nemesis. I know laminate is cheap, but having the cheapest flooring in town doesn't mean it is the best.

Now that I have dashed your plans, may I suggest you consider removing the linoleum and installing concrete backer underlayment and ceramic tile in the kitchen. Cleaner, more impervious to water infiltration and good looking. As for the living/dining areas may I suggest a 5/8" click lock engineered flooring. It is more stable than laminate and doesn't "clack" when you walk across it.

Old 07-27-13, 06:16 PM
Thank you Chandler for your response & suggestions. However, I'm wanting one type of flooring throughout our open area since it is a shared area (open floor). I'm really just tired of having 2 different types of floors in basically 1 large area & I can't wait to get rid of the carpet.
You have perked my interests in the 5/8" click lock flooring. I'm assuming you are referring to hardwood. Correct? I could not find 5/8" @ Lumber Liquidators. My only downside to the hardwood is I'm afraid of the scratches that will be made. I hate to spend that much $$ on anything that will scratch with our chaos. Which is why I was leaning towards interlocking laminate wood flooring. I find it to be just as expensive too (3.49 sq).
Thanks for all your input.....

Old 07-27-13, 07:08 PM
Laminate flooring is not wood, it' plastic with a picture of wood as the top layer.
Laminate flooring for sure will never increase the value of a home an for sure should never be used in a wet area.
Engineered has a layer of real wood on the top layer with up to 7 coats of a super hard sealer on it.

Old 07-28-13, 03:46 AM
All wood flooring will scratch, even laminate. The problem with laminate, you don't have the option of refinishing it. at least with engineered or solid wood flooring you can do that. All prefinished flooring has coats of aluminum oxide as a finish. Super hard. If you're paying $3.49 for laminate, I would definitely look into 5/8" click lock engineered. Not sure what type wood you are looking at, but LL has bamboo in the click lock in 5" pieces. We are in the process of laying it once the leveling is done. Lays down super quick and is solid bamboo, so that is a plus.

Old 07-28-13, 06:37 AM
I will check into that Chandler.....thank you