Is this consider blotchy

Old 07-29-13, 07:39 PM
Is this consider blotchy

Hi again,

Last time I had trouble picking out a stain that can penetrate the wood for our liking. Sherwin Williams gave me a BAC Wiping Stain and said this would do it. I gave it to my contractor, he said this is the kind he uses all the time, should achieve the look we want.

Today, he finally started applying the stain... but it looks like this in the attached pictures. He claims that this is normal. He can patch the blotchy spot after the 1st coat drys up. Outside of the un-even marks/streaks between the areas he worked on, it seems really blotchy to me. I understand that there's no perfect job. But if the photo shows it that much, it doesn't seem normal....

So my questions are,
Is this normal?
Is there really a way to save it?
Will it get any better after the clear coat is applied?
Or should I really fire this contractor.....

Thanks a lot!
Mike

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-13, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it looks blotchy do you know how he applied the stain?
It looks to me like it was either an application error or possibly a problem with the sanding. Poly will highlight it, not make it go away. Have you seen his other work, especially the darker stains?

Old 07-30-13, 06:40 AM
supposedly, he applied stain the standard way, wipe on with sponge, wait around 8 minutes (Still standard according to the BAC Wiping stain instruction), and wipe off with clean cloth. I think he wipes it off too lightly, thus the color was very uneven. It was my mistake to just trust my friend on his work. I've never seen his dark stain work, and he admit that not a lot of customer (possibly none) asked for darker color stain.

Oh well, he was a bit hard to work with anyways..... time for a new guy

Old 07-30-13, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
From your original post:
He claims that this is normal. He can patch the blotchy spot after the 1st coat drys up.
This is a red flag to me, second coats of stain generally do not work, as the stain needs to penetrate the wood and the first coat of stain seals it. Anyone who said something like this would be showing me he did not have enough knowledge to have the job.

Old 07-30-13, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
He might have had better results if he had wiped it a little sooner. The longer the stain sets, the more aggressive you need to be with the wiping. I'd be willing to bet he wiped off more stain in some spots than others.