Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How long to wait before moving furniture on a refinished floor?

MD

08-06-13, 02:39 PM   #1  
How long to wait before moving furniture on a refinished floor?

Hi,

Just had my floors sanded & refinished w/ a couple of layers of semi-gloss finish. The guys told my kids not to walk on the floor for several hours - how about moving furniture on it? Should I wait a couple of days or something for the finish to completely harden or does it make that much of a difference?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links

MD

08-06-13, 02:55 PM   #2  
BTW - the system they used was Pall X 96. Just did a google search, it says fully cured in 7 days. Should I keep heavy furniture off of it for 7 days?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-07-13, 03:26 AM   #3  
Hopefully they told you the traffic should be limited to stocking feet at first! It's best to let the finish fully cure before subjecting it to traffic but the main thing is to limit how much abuse the finish sees. Generally setting furniture in place is ok providing it isn't scooted across the floor. Lighter furniture can be set in place sooner than heavier items. The danger of setting too heavy items in place before the finish cures is the weight of the piece can press it into the finish possibly causing it to stick. The longer you can wait, the better.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MD

08-09-13, 04:45 AM   #4  
Thanks! Except for going into the house a couple of times to turn on fans & measuring, we've been out of the house for nearly 3 days. This afternoon we'll start moving furniture back in...

Search this Thread