Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Glue-down versus Floating Floor

CAL

08-09-13, 05:59 PM   #1  
Glue-down versus Floating Floor

Hi all. New member here, and flooring novice. My house got flooded, and I'm going through insurance to replace my floors which were engineered and glued to the foundation. The insurance provided an estimate of what they will cover. I picked a floor that came in slightly under the $/sq. ft. allowed under the estimate. The floor I picked is recommended to be floated with a vapor barrier underneath, but can be glued as well. The contractor from the list of insurance-preferred contractors came back with an incremental $4,000 charge over the insurance estimate, citing it's due to using a float versus glue-down. This would be out-of-pocket and not covered by insurance.

For all you pros out there, does that sound reasonable? It doesn't to me. If that's the main reason, I'd say forget it and just glue it down. I asked for an itemized breakdown of the incremental costs to show the individual cost increases over the insurance itemized estimate, I got stonewalled. Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

08-09-13, 06:07 PM   #2  
Something's very wrong. It's less work to install a floating floor then a glued down floor and the materials would be cheaper because there's no glue needed.
Get some more prices.
Why not install it yourself and save the money for something else.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

08-10-13, 10:32 AM   #3  
Agree that something is not correct, what is the total square footage of floor that is being replaced? Does the contractor's price include tear out of the old glued down flooring? Did the insurance estimate provide for labor or just material?

You should definitely get multiple quotes on this. Have your insurance recommend additional flooring installers that they will work with and give them a call. If it turns out that the original contractor was way out of bounds with his estimate, it doesn't hurt to let the insurance company know that one of their guys are fleecing the customers.

CANADA

08-22-13, 10:22 AM   #4  
That makes absolutely no sense. There's never a single instance, ever, where a floating floor is more expensive to install than glue-down. Glue-down is usually a higher end installation than floating since you can sand them down (if using a water-based glue) and there is no hollow sound.

Honestly, I would tell him to go ahead and proceed with the glue-down installation, you end up with a better quality product in the end.

Also, he won't be able to give you an itemized breakdown of the 4,000 cost increase because he pulled it out of thin air in an attempt to gouge you.

Search this Thread