Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Super Cold Laminate on Cement - New Hardwood and Subfloor ?

CANADA

08-16-13, 08:56 AM   #1  
Super Cold Laminate on Cement - New Hardwood and Subfloor ?

Hi Guys,

I currently have laminate floors over cement since my condo townhouse unit is on ground level. During winters the floor are frigid cold and it is impossible to walk without slippers and socks. I have checked all other leak sources but I still find floors to be super cold. I am planning to redo the floors and install some insulation. What are my options? I was told that I will need to create some subfloor put insulation and then put my hardwood floors.

I would like to get suggestions on what my subfloor should be? How should I tackle this project.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

08-16-13, 09:20 AM   #2  
Is the concrete exposed anywhere that you can do a moisture test?

Lots of options other than wood, don't know if you're completely committed to that choice as you could also tile or install carpet.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-16-13, 10:07 AM   #3  
Concrete will hold cold or heat. You'll need to insulate and install a subfloor over the concrete to reduce the cold - something like what they do on basement slabs to keep the flooring dry. I only have a passing knowledge on that stuff but some of the others should be able to help.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-16-13, 05:20 PM   #4  
I would opt to remove what you have, install grid heating and engineered flooring. Really, I'd put down tile, but you want wood, I am sure. You'll need to check with the flooring manufacturer to see if their flooring is compatible with grid heating, but it will keep the floor warm, while keeping you from building your floor up with insulation, sleepers, subflooring, etc. Quite a cumbersome task.

Search this Thread