Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Casings cut too short-big gap

ME

08-24-13, 05:29 AM   #1  
Casings cut too short-big gap

I recently had 1100 feet of laminate flooring installed by a "professional" company. When I arrived at the job site I found that all doors had already been undercut and it was obvious that all were cut between 1/4 and 3/8th inch too high. I'm getting no satisfaction from the installer and want to know the best option for correcting this problem (short of removing and replacing all casings. I've been investigating removing more of the casing and gluing a 1" wood plug to fit each of the affected doors. Seems like quite an undertaking, though. Would a water-based wood filler do the trick? I tried to attach a picture, but couldn't for some reason. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-24-13, 05:31 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
Usually the gap is either caulked or a sliver of casing is cut and then glued into the void.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

08-24-13, 05:38 AM   #3  
I've considered caulk, but my experience is that in a gap up to 3/8th inch, caulk becomes unsightly over time. Maybe a combination of filling and cauk?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-24-13, 06:04 AM   #4  
Since you owe the installer a final payment (hopefully), that should coerce them into coming back and doing what is right to make the job proper. They probably had someone come in and under cut the jambs with a jamb saw set at 3/4" for thicker flooring. THEY should make it right, not you. You may get away with the plug and caulk combination.

UT

08-24-13, 06:16 AM   #5  
Not sure I follow. Is it a problem with the casing being cut too short, or the doors? Where is the gap that you would like to fill?

Ok, reading it again, I think you mean the door casing. One other option, if it works with your overall design, would be to cut about 6-8" of casing out and install plinth blocks.

ME

08-24-13, 07:17 AM   #6  
Right, casings. Sorry not clear. I don't think plinth blocks would work in this situation, but will take another look. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-24-13, 09:29 AM   #7  
Is the woodwork stained or painted? It's always best to paint caulking, that keeps it from attracting dirt and becoming unsightly over time.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

08-24-13, 11:32 AM   #8  
I had the same problem on a few doors when I had the carpeting removed and laminate installed. Obviously the casing/trim was way too short to begin with but the carpet and pad hid that fact. Once the much thinner laminate and underlayment was installed it became painfully obvious. I was present during the R&R so I know it was nothing the installer did, he didn't have a clue as to why it had been cut so short nor did he have any idea of how to remedy the problem.

I've lived with it ever since but someday in the future I am going to pull up the laminate where this occurred (in a hallway) and install a new engineered floor that is thick enough to eliminate the problem. Had I been able to at the time of laminate installation I would have opted to add 1/2 inch plywood to the sub-floor as it would have also brought the laminate up to the level of the solid oak flooring that abutted the carpeted areas.

Search this Thread