Additional plywood ontop of plywood

Old 08-24-13, 12:03 PM
Additional plywood ontop of plywood

I will be removing tile from current floor getting it back down to the plywood subfloor. I wanted to raise it an additional 1/4 of an inch. I was going to lay some new plywood on top of the previous. When i do this do i leave a small space around the perimeter of the room from the wall? I will also be removing and replacing the baseboard if that matters.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-13, 12:09 PM
Quarter inch thick tile backer board would be a far better material than would be plywood.

Old 08-24-13, 12:40 PM
I dont need tile backerboard down being that i will be installing laminate flooring just looking to slightly raise the floor and create a smoother more solid base for it to float on. I am just unsure about a gap around the perimeter.

Old 08-24-13, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes leave a small gap. Anything up to a 1/2" will be fine.
Not sure why your going to the trouble to remove the baseboards. Really just need to remove the 1/4 round.

Old 08-24-13, 01:16 PM
The baseboard is shot and floor throughout house is a mess so replacing it all. More of just for looks is why replacing baseboard.

Old 08-24-13, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We can't talk you into a higher quality engineered flooring that will be somewhat thicker to begin with, can we?? This will give you the height you need without having to resort to installing more plywood (and 1/4" is worthless in this case). Engineered flooring comes closer to being real wood flooring than laminate which is MDF with a picture of wood on it embossed with aluminum oxide.