Unlevel floor under laminate

Old 08-26-13, 07:34 PM
Unlevel floor under laminate

I am putting a floating laminate floor in my kitchen. After removing the multiple layers of old vinyl I was down to plywood subfloor but it was not level in some places. I put new 3/4" plywood down as an underlayment but it was warped in a few places, so I put in lots of screws to get it flat. I've put some of my laminate in now but I've got a few spots that move up and down when I walk on them.

1. Should there be ANY movement up and down like that in my laminate floor?
2. Assuming that that is bad and I have to take it all up again, what should I use to level out my plywood? Can I use a self-leveling compound on top of the plywood and then lay the floating floor on top of it or will the cement break free from the plywood?

Thanks for any advice.

dg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-13, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 Never a good idea to use laminate in a kitchen, bathroom, laundry room.
Get's wet and it's trash.
I'd wonder if you knew the plywood was warp why would you use it? Was it subfloor rated. not just sheathing? Should have been at least A/C rated.
There should be no movement. If there is the T & G will loosen up and gaps will appear.

Old 08-27-13, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a client who had someone put laminate throughout pretty much the whole downstairs with what I can gather little prep. When you walk around, it wounds like your shoes are untied and you are dragging your laces as you walk. Drives me crazy, but it is from movement.

Directions state on most laminate the maximum deflection in the sub-floor that is allowed. What size plywood did you have down originally and what size did you install over it? What type of screws did you use and what pattern did you use?

You either have a high joists or a low one, SLC can work but the floor needs to be solid without any bounce or the cement will degrade over time.

Old 08-27-13, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I need to take the floor back up and put OSB down rather than the 1/4" plywood I used. Live and learn. The 3/4" plywood floor was in good shape but not completely, completely flat. I thought a little thicker layer would be better but I guess I thought wrong.