Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Type of Sander to Use on Hardwood Floors

ID

08-27-13, 02:49 PM   #1  
Type of Sander to Use on Hardwood Floors

Hello!
My husband and I just pulled up carpet in our living room to discover beautiful oak floors. They are in quite good condition, but do need a bit of sanding and refinishing to make them look new again. We've removed all of the carpet glue, nails, tack strip, etc. We are going to do the sanding ourselves and have two options of types of sanders to rent. The first is a vibrating plate sander with a plate that is 12"x18". The second is a disc sander with 3 rotating discs. We would like advice based on ease of use, as well as which sanders are more likely leave visible gouges, swirl marks, etc. Both sanders rent for the same price. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-27-13, 02:58 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! I would recommend your using the plate sander since you have no experience in sanding floors. The disc and drum sanders are really aggressive and you can make a mistake using them that sometimes can't be rectified. Unless you can verify that the disc sander is random orbit, too. In addition the plate sander is random orbit so it will be the least likely to leave swirl marks and boogers.

ID

08-27-13, 05:10 PM   #3  
Thanks so much, Chandler! That's really helpful. I didn't know plate sanders were random orbit. If a disc sander is random orbit does that change anything, or is the plate sander still probably the easiest/best choice?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-27-13, 05:25 PM   #4  
I think the plate sander will be easier for you to control. It may not be the fastest, and it may take a few more sheets to achieve what you want, but the job will be better, and you'll be happier. Bottom line

ID

08-27-13, 08:22 PM   #5  
That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread