Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laminate flooring gap at door threshold?

MO

09-01-13, 02:48 PM   #1  
Laminate flooring gap at door threshold?

I will be installing laminate flooring along an exterior door threshold.

What would be the correct way to cover the recommended gap between the threshold and the plank?

The threshold piece is plastic so I don't know if I can nail quarter round to it or not, which is what I plan to do with the rest of the room. The floor will be about 1/2" lower than the top of the threshold.

Thanks
Name:  floor2.jpg
Views: 3976
Size:  7.2 KB

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

NJ

09-01-13, 03:30 PM   #2  
You can always glue the 1/4 rnd to the threshold. Lay a strip of thin cardboard over the laminate first to provide clearance and remove it after the glue sets.

Group Moderator

NE

09-01-13, 03:32 PM   #3  
You'd probably want to pin nail/glue the shoe or quarter round to the threshold, not the floor.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-01-13, 04:06 PM   #4  
Laminate can slide along its lengthwise axis. I would narrow the gap at the door where only the shoe is used and expand the gap across the room for the planks that are in line with the door so that overall there is sufficient expansion coverage. This way, you can ensure that the edge of the laminate will not "peek" out from under the shoe, but also provide room for expansion across the length of the room. Pin or 18 ga. brad or glue the shoe to the door threshold such that the floor can slide easily underneath.

Search this Thread