Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Restoring faded perimeter of hardwood floor

Non-US

09-03-13, 09:05 AM   #1  
Restoring faded perimeter of hardwood floor

Just pulled up area rugs covering a 50-year-old red oak floor. The floor is in beautiful condition with a deep red color and rich patina. The problem is the 12" wide strip around the perimeter that wasn't covered by the rug - it is dull, faded, and has some white water spots. Is there a way that I can restore/revitalize the perimeter area without having to sand the entire floor and lose the otherwise beautifully aged finish?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-03-13, 01:07 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
While you might be able to make it look better than it does now, the odds are any partial finish job will be noticeable.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Non-US

09-04-13, 04:08 PM   #3  
here are pictures of the floor

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=29090ebe87

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-05-13, 03:00 AM   #4  
Not as bad as I had envisioned. Wax might restore some of the luster [but would need to be removed if you do any refinishing] I'm not sure it's possible to eliminate the difference short of sanding the entire floor and applying fresh poly.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-05-13, 10:28 AM   #5  
I think time will fade the difference but if you can't wait as long as it takes, I would sand the entire floor and add a fresh coat of polyurethane, as Mark suggested.

Search this Thread