Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Should I hardwood small hallway off of den

TN

09-04-13, 07:09 AM   #1  
Should I hardwood small hallway off of den

I'm laying hardwood in my den and dining room area, which is basically just one big main area of my house. There is a small hallway off the living room which allows passage to a half bath and the master bedroom. This hallway is very small (only about 3ft x 6ft. The master bed will remain carpet and the bathroom is tile. You can see most of this hallway from various view points in the living room. Also, guests would see this area as they use the half bath.

My question is, do I stop the hard wood at this hallway and leave it carpet, or do I hardwood this small area and stop at the bedroom door? I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is, but I have had to respected professionals tell me two different ways. Which makes me believe it's probably more personal preference than anything.

I just don't want to do it one way and it be clearly wrong. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-04-13, 09:50 AM   #2  
Personally, I'd install hardwood in the hallway also. Unless there is a doorway separating the living rm and hall - I'd consider it an extension of the living rm ..... but there aren't any right or wrong answers

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

09-04-13, 11:35 AM   #3  
I agree with Mark, if you can see it from the living room then do the hardwood. My hallway to the front bathroom also had carpet and it was horribly worn and stained near the bathroom door. Having all the carpeting in my hallway removed and replaced with laminate made a huge positive difference.

Search this Thread