Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Damaged rug, eventual goal hardwood, ideas for now?

CANADA

09-05-13, 01:19 PM   #1  
Damaged rug, eventual goal hardwood, ideas for now?

Hello,

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Due to my sick dog prior to passing, my living room, dining room and hallway rug (all connected) is ruined. I have no intention of repairing it, as it is outdated and just ugly. I have thought about purchasing 'on sale' laminate and doing it myself, but as a single-girl-homeowner, I know I will get overwhelmed and I don't have anyone that is handy to help me.

For resale value my goal is to have hardwood or engineered flooring installed, although I am looking at approximately 2-3 years from now. (Currently in grad school, so financially this is not possible right now.)

I am looking for 'cheap' ideas that will last me approximately 2 years. If I remove the rug, it goes down to the main wood that connects to the basement (home built in 1960).

If you have any economical suggestions, please let me know. Also, would I have to put a subfloor down?

Thank you for any advice! Kindly, Mimi

Sponsored Links

NY

09-05-13, 01:43 PM   #2  
Laminated flooring is not hard. Don't let it overwhelm you. If the current rug is a mess then what is the difference if you start to do the laminate flooring yourself and let it drag on for several weeks or months. Just doing a little bit each day or week or whatever. Take one small section to start with and see how it goes. You don't need to do the whole thing at once. The only suggestion I'll make is if you decide to tackle this, then buy decent tools. As you start the project use this forum as a help desk as you need it.

Super Moderator

AZ

09-05-13, 02:12 PM   #3  
The one issue with doing it over time is...you need to buy all your materials at the start. Buy enough for one section now and you may not be able to find or match it 9 months later. Esp if you go to a discount retailer like Lumber Liquidators.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NY

09-05-13, 02:15 PM   #4  
Agreed. Stick with name brands like Bruce or Armstrong. Better chance of matching.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-05-13, 04:40 PM   #5  
I'd rather live with subflooring showing and throw rugs in place than to put down laminate. (can't find the puke smilie). If you have plans to eventually put down quality engineered flooring or even hardwoods once you can afford them, I would not throw money at MDF with a picture of wood on top of it. That's money you could put toward nice flooring.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-13, 03:50 AM   #6  
While not my cup of tea, there are some that will paint the subfloor. You can even paint a design/pattern in the floor if you want .... just throwing it out there as another option

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-06-13, 12:13 PM   #7  
You don't go into detail about what the dog did but if stains penetrated the subfloor, covering it with an oil based primer should be considered before doing anything else to seal the odors.

CANADA

09-07-13, 07:44 PM   #8  
Thank you, Norm, for this advice! I will definitely consider it

CANADA

09-07-13, 07:47 PM   #9  
Thank you for noting this, GunGuy45! I would not have thought of this. I live in Alberta Canada, so not sure if Lumber Liquidators is here. I would likely go to e.g. Home Depot, Revy...something like that??

CANADA

09-07-13, 07:53 PM   #10  
Hi Mitch17, my dog had urinated all over the house. I had it cleaned, via ChemDry, and my reason for not wanting to keep it is - the stains are still apparent and it has been through years of dog/cat abuse. I can't imagine how dirty it really is, despite my attempts at keeping it 'looking clean'. I appreciate your advice on the oil based primer b/c I have looked into that. There doesn't appear to be any odors (to me or my guests anyhow).

CANADA

09-07-13, 07:59 PM   #11  
Hi Marksr, this is great 'thinking outside of the box, and something I may consider. Time goes quickly and I do hate the thought of spending money to just spend much more later. We'll see! :-)

CANADA

09-07-13, 08:04 PM   #12  
Hi Chandler, This answers a lot b/c I had been debating between Hardwood or Laminate. I was advised by many fellow-dog lovers that laminate is best b/c it doesn't get ruined by claws as easily. As someone who will always have dogs, this appeals to me. However, I am also aware that I want to sell my home in 3 - 4 years and want to have good resale value. I mentioned engineered in my original post, not realizing what it is. I now realize it is good for e.g. basements. It is still all in the air at this point, but also all GREAT advice!

Search this Thread